Mission and History
At First Security Bank our Mission is to:
Cultivate active partnerships that nurture successful, lasting relationships.
In the spring of 1919, local bankers A.G. Berthot, H.S. Buell and W.N. Purdy pooled their resources and abilities to charter a new bank in Bozeman, Montana. The location of the proposed bank was the John Kopp butcher shop located at 110 East Main Street. After extensive remodeling, the new bank opened for business on September 19, 1919 as Security Bank and Trust Company.
By the mid 1920's, Security Bank and Trust Company had grown large and financially sound enough to remain open as the country entered the Great Depression. It was obvious by 1957 that the bank had outgrown its location at 110 East Main Street. A partnership was formed with Robert Bradford and George Dieruf, owners of the Powderhorn, to build a new bank. The board of directors eventually elected to build the new building at 208 East Main Street on the corner of Bozeman and Main streets. The staff moved to the new location in September, 1960.
Directors and shareholders moved to maintain the bank as community owned in perpetuity in 1966. Concerned about continued efforts by out-of-state banking corporations to gain control of the bank, they formed a bank holding company. The name of the holding company was changed to Inter-Mountain Bancorp, Inc., in 1993, and is still the sole shareholder of First Security Bank.
The bank opened a drive-through facility on the corner of Bozeman and Babcock streets in 1973. The grand opening of the motor bank facility included ice cream bars being sent to customers through the vacuum tubes and speeches given in the shade of the mushroom-like awnings located above the kiosks. One year later, the name of the bank was changed to First Security Bank of Bozeman.
Over the years, First Security Bank has seen many changes and growth. The bank has provided a strong financial backbone for the community and continues to be locally owned and operated. In the span of over 97 years, the bank has grown from four full-time employees and one branch in 1919, to over 160 employees today in 12 branches. Assets of $328,533 in December of 1919 have grown to nearly $1 billion. The bank’s community involvement has consistently received high marks by the FDIC under the Community Reinvestment Act.
First Security Bank is proud to serve the residents of Gallatin, Chouteau, Teton, and surrounding counties as a locally-owned and controlled community bank. If you would like to join the First Security Bank family as a customer, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or your local branch to open an account.